[jdom-interest] V2.x not usable next to V1.x

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Fri May 18 13:13:00 PDT 2012

 >All in all, I think it is fair to blame maven here.

I have a great deal of sympathy with both sides of this debate.

Maven is a pig to use. We've given up trying several times. The
documentation is awful, the process is awful, there is no way of testing
your artefacts, and when you get them wrong (as we have done) there is
no way of putting it right.

On the other hand, Maven is quite rightly focused on meeting the needs
of its users rather than package developers. Those users do have complex
requirements, and individual components like JDOM or Saxon are tiny
parts of their overall systems; they don't want to tailor their working
methods to the idiosyncracies of individual packages. (And they
certainly don't want to have upgrades foisted on them: when something
isn't broken, they don't want to fix it). So as developers, I think it's
reasonable that we should make some effort to fit into the process the
way it has been designed. But it *is* an extremely frustrating
experience, and I'm not convinced it needs to be.

Michael Kay
Saxonica