[jdom-interest] licensing

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Tue Aug 8 00:29:33 PDT 2000

One of the things to finish before beta5 is the finalization of our
license wording.  The tricky part is the "advertizing" clause.  Here's
what I have now:

 5. If appropriate, the end-user documentation included with the
    redistribution and/or the software itself must include a text
    acknowledgement equivalent to the following:
     "This product includes software developed by the
      JDOM Project (http://www.jdom.org/)."
    Alternatively, the acknowledgment may be graphical using
    the logos available at http://www.jdom.org/images/logos.

There are no logos yet, but we'll figure out a way to make some.  :-)
Other than that, what do you think?  The "If appropriate" is
intentionally a gaping loophole since we don't want to require this
where people aren't happy to comply.  It may be too gaping to be legal,
in which case I'm curious if that causes problems for the enforceability
of the rest of the license.  Who's a lawyer, or at least plays one on
TV?