[jdom-interest] Finalizing the JDOM license

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Tue Jul 11 02:32:04 PDT 2000

One thing I'd like for beta5 is to have a final version of the JDOM
license.  The license under which we originally released was the Apache
license without requirement #3, which is the requirement that requires a
thank you:

3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if
   any, must include the following acknowlegement:
      "This product includes software developed by the
       Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
   Alternately, this acknowlegement may appear in the software itself,
   if and wherever such third-party acknowlegements normally appear.

We removed this because we expected JDOM to be used by hundreds and
thousands of projects in the future (how close are we?) and we didn't
want every project to have to say thanks to JDOM.  However, the goal of
requirement #3 is a noble one, because a simple line of recognition like
this in a major project helps build recognition and reputation for the
JDOM Project, and helps bring resources to the project that helps all of
us.  What we're considering is adding back a modified version of the
requirement but intentionally weakened so that if such an acknowledgment
isn't appropriate, it doesn't need to be done:

3. If appropriate, the end-user documentation included with the
     JDOM Project (http://www.jdom.org/)."
   Alternately, this acknowlegement may appear in the software itself,
   if and wherever such third-party acknowlegements normally appear.

Opinions?

Is there a better way to phrase what we're trying to accomplish?