[jdom-interest] will use StringBuffer instead of String (was RE: [jdom-interest] org.jdom.Namespace not implementing Serializable?)

Humphrey Sheil Humphrey.Sheil at Kadius.com
Fri Jul 21 02:21:22 PDT 2000

[changed subject]

Oops.  I should have mentioned that we'll use StringBuffer in the meantime
to work around this RMI limitation, i.e. pass around a StringBuffer and only
create a Document in the layer that will publish the XML directly to disk.

Humphrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Humphrey Sheil
Sent: 21 July 2000 09:14
To: 'Jools Enticknap'
Cc: 'jdom-interest at jdom.org'
Subject: RE: [jdom-interest] org.jdom.Namespace not implementing
Serializable?

Thanks,

I should have traversed the entire object graph to find this.

I was hoping to avoid having to serialize the Document to a string.  The JDK
has imposed a hard 64k limit on the serialized form of a string (in
java.io.DataOutputStream), since it uses the first two bytes of the
underlying array to store the size of the array.  Any bigger and a
UTFDataFormatException will be thrown.

Humphrey