FW: [jdom-interest] XMLOutputter

James Duncan Davidson duncan at x180.com
Mon Jul 31 17:39:07 PDT 2000

Erg. I've gotten too used to mail lists that have reply-to: headers
embedded.. :)

----------
From: James Duncan Davidson <duncan at x180.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:38:32 -0700
To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: [jdom-interest] XMLOutputter

on 7/31/00 3:25 AM, Elliotte Rusty Harold at elharo at metalab.unc.edu wrote:

> Most importantly, a separate class makes it a lot easier to copy formatting
> options from one outputter to another or from a default set of options to an
> outputter.

That's a nice touch... It's almost a swing argument as, if I'm working on a
server outputting *lots* of XML all over the place, this reduces all the
times that formatting options have to be set.

> Alex I guess thinks this is an unnecessary level of indirection. One of the
> questions is whether anything except an outputter is ever likely to need
> formatting options, in which case the separation is a little more defensible.

Probably not, afaics. Formatting is strictly an output affair.

.duncan