[jdom-interest] Interfaces

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Thu Nov 30 11:35:30 PST 2000

Tom Bradford wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are there any plans to break the JDOM classes into separate interfaces
> and impl classes?

No, the price is too high.  With interfaces everything becomes a
factory, elements have to be "imported" into new documents instead of
just added, features like long-term serialization cannot be guaranteed,
and the list goes on.

We started with interfaces actually.  During our pre-release review to
some peers we received the feedback we should try concrete classes.  We
did, and the design was much better for it.

> The reason that I ask this is because at some point
> in the future, we may want to provide JDOM support in dbXML.  The only
> clean way to create a compatible JDOM implementation while utilizing
> dbXML's compressed DOM would be to implement against interfaces.

Please expand on what you're trying to do.