[jdom-interest] API instability?

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Sep 1 05:31:28 PDT 2000

At 6:05 PM +0200 8/31/00, Jason Hunter wrote:

>I'm not sure it's the right thing to go this way but let's look it
>over.  I don't see what bugs you'd have when moving elements between
>docs.  The simple idea is that if you have
>
><foo:parent>
>  <foo:child/>
></foo:parent>
>
>When you say parent.getChild("child") it's kinda natural for the
>unspecified namespace of "child" to be the same as the parent, not the
>no-namespace.  It's a simple way of thinking: ask Bob Jones about his
>kid Billy and he naturally refers to the Billy in the Jones namespace.
>:-)

Bugs or no bugs, this just doesn't seem obvious to me. I'd rather
explicitly specify my namespaces. I think this is going to cause big,
unexpected problems for programmers when they encounter documents
where the children don't have the same namespaces as the parent.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |