[jdom-interest] JDOM as a Database API?

donaldp at mad.scientist.com donaldp at mad.scientist.com
Tue Sep 5 00:36:38 PDT 2000

Hi,

it sounds like you are looking for some data binding type
functionality. This is already available from a number of
different sources.

There is Village/Torque/town available via working-dogs.com
(I believe) and also included in Turbine project at
java.apache.org.

There is also the JDO/various other data binding techniques
that bind data from dbs/xml files etc to objects and that is
available from exolabs (whose site seems to be down atm). Do
a search for exact URL.

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Gerardo Horvilleur wrote:

> Jason Hunter wrote:
> >
> > > You wouldn't need to use any Builder or Outputter. As soon as an element is added
> > > to a document it is automatically stored into the database.
> >
> > Why use the JDOM API for the data manipulations?
> >
> > -jh-
>
> Because:
>
>    1. It is simple, and easy to use.
>
>    2. It is flexible: it can be used to store/retrieve anything that could be
>       represented as an XML document (or RDBMS).
>
>    3. For an object oriented program it is more "natural" to build/traverse a JDOM
>       tree than using JDBC to manipulate table rows in a RDBMS (you could also state
>       this as: there is a lower "impedance mismatch" between Java and JDOM than
>       between Java and a RDBMS).
>
>    4. Better performance for very large XML documents because you only bring the data
>       into RAM on an as-needed basis.

Cheers,

Pete