[jdom-interest] Re: jdom-interest digest, Vol 1 #206 - 24 msgs

Joseph Bowbeer jozart at csi.com
Thu Sep 7 05:03:59 PDT 2000

Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 15:12:20 -0700
From: Jason Hunter <jhunter at collab.net>
To: "Galluzzo, Eric" <EGalluzzo at synchrony.net>
CC: "'jdom-interest at jdom.org'" <jdom-interest at jdom.org>
Subject: Re: [jdom-interest] Patch to build.xml

> > Trying to build with JDK 1.1 ...
> >

> Good catch.  Set and HashSet are now used in
> XMLOutputter, so JDK 1.1 needs more replace rules.
>
> We could add all 20 some replace options but that
> just slows down the build.  We could also go to using
> java.util.* instead of explicit declaration per class;
> that'd mean we only need one replace rule.

I think explicit imports are the best solution (and are a good idea
anyway).

There are 29 classes in the Collections compatibility package.

 http://java.sun.com/beans/infobus/collectionsreadme.html

Some of the replacement classes replace classes that are not in
java.util, and some of the classes in java.util (e.g., StringTokenizer)
are not in this package.

The two most common sticklers, by the way, are Comparable and
UnsupportedOperationException. These are included in JDK1.1 Collections,
but because they're part of java.lang in Java2, they aren't usually
imported explicitly in the source code.

--
Joe Bowbeer