[jdom-interest] Getting schema validation working without enabling Xerces namespace support. How?

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Sep 13 06:03:15 PDT 2000

At 1:37 PM +0200 9/13/00, Travers Waker wrote:

>I might be wrong, but I get the impression that Jason's reply implies that
>schema validation still works when Xerces namespace handling is disabled
>because JDOM does its own namespace handling.  However, this is definitely
>not my experience (the schema is ignored when Xerces namespace handling is
>disabled) .  So, how does one get schema validation working without enabling
>Xerces namespace handling?

I'm not sure if I've quite got my head around this problem yet, so I
may be misunderstanding just what the real issue is, but if I'm not,
I think I can answer you.

Schemas require namespaces. This isn't a Xerces decision or a JDOM
decision. It's simply the way the schema spec is written. If you're
going to validate against a schema, your well-formedness checks must
include the checks required by the Namespaces in XML specification,
not just those required by XML 1.0. You cannot turn off namespace
processing and still validate against a schema.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |