[jdom-interest] getChildren() vs getElements()

Alex Chaffee guru at edamame.stinky.com
Thu Sep 14 05:49:52 PDT 2000

Wasn't there a discussion a few months ago about renaming
getChildren() to getElements()?  This Solomon-like solution was
provided by somebody smart, I think James.

Recap:

element.getChildren()
	ambiguous; implies that it gets Attributes etc. :-(

element.getChildElements()
	too long to type :-(

element.getElements()
	brief; no way it can be misinterpreted :-)

Was this just forgotten, or was there a reason to keep getChildren
that I missed?

(We could deprecate getChildren for a few months before the 1.0
release to allow migration.)

 - Alex

P.S. This is orthogonal to the current "Element implements List"
discussion.  BTW, I think it should not implement List, for this very
reason: there is an ambiguity as to what the members of that list
would be (elements or mixed or elements+attributes or ...)

Alex Chaffee                       mailto:alex at jguru.com