[jdom-interest] license compatibility question

Chris Todd ctodd at alabanza.com
Tue Sep 26 04:01:34 PDT 2000

I am interested in using JDOM in some open-source development, but I wanted
to make sure the licenses were compatible.

The project I want to which I want to contribute uses the GPL, but I notice
that JDOM uses an Apache-style license.  Is this a problem because of the
viral nature of the GPL?  Namely, would using JDOM in a GPL app require JDOM
to also be GPL?  I hope not, because JDOM looks really great and I'm looking
forward to working with it.

Thank you in advance for your time in answering this question, and forgive
me if this comes up a lot, but the legalese of the various OSS licenses is
something I do not quite have a grip on yet.

Sincerest regards,
Chris Todd