[jdom-interest] Doc Listeners etc

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Tue Apr 3 06:16:45 PDT 2001

> There's doesn't appear to be any support for attaching views
> or listeners to
> Documents and Elements = nor does the Document appear to get
> notified of any
> changes to its component Elements. Is this something that
> will ever appear ?

Heavily discussed but I don't think it will ever appear.

> I can (and have) added some of this functionality to Document
> by wrapping
> it, but the major problem I have is that I can't sub-class
> Document to add
> in the "listenable" behaviour because Documents get created
> by a static
> factory (one of the limitations of such an approach) - so
> wrapping makes
> more sense. This is a bit of a pain (especially as I'll need
> to repeat it
> with Element). Any chance of it being included ?

Are you talking about SAXBuilder?  There have been about 3 different
approaches suggested to allow subclassing the jdom classes, all of which
have some merit.  Ken Rune Helland (3/13/01) submitted a version that allows
you to specify subclasses to use via a factory.  Jason is hoping for
comments but there haven't been any yet.  How about you?  Or maybe I've
missed your point.