[jdom-interest] progressive parsing/minimizing memory footprint

Jools jools at jools.org
Tue Apr 10 13:22:43 PDT 2001

> I tried looking through the FAQ and the documents, but I didn't see
> anything about this.  I'm using JDom to work on an XML based database in
> memory.  The problem is that when the whole database is loaded into
> memory, it takes about 107 Mb of RAM.  And I havn't even started
> processing yet (and my processing touches every single Element in the
> Document).  Is there a way to get all the benefits of JDom in a low
> memory footprint?  I know that the SAX is supposed to do this, but I'm
> not sure if JDom automatically does this when it is using SAX.  By the
> way, I'm using JDom 6, with all of the default libraries and such.

There is currently a project in motion to produce a version of JDOM
which has a reduced memory requirement. However this is not here
just yet, and will take a little time to refine the balance between
memory usage and CPU occupancy.

We hope to deliver this for the next beta cycle, for more information
on how we intend to reduce memory usage and increase performance you
might like to read
http://lists.denveronline.net/lists/jdom-interest/2001-March/004970.html

--Jools