[jdom-interest] XSD->XML

Yoichi Takayama yoichi at webmcq.com
Wed Apr 11 23:47:14 PDT 2001

Dear Warner,

I am still very new to XML.

I would like to be able to dynamically add/delete XML element from my JDOM
tree.  Of course, this has to be done under the constraints imposed by the
schema file.

I would like to be able to represent the current structure and values held
by an XML JDOM in a GUI and to see what elements/attributes I can add or
delete, and I want the XML Element/Attribute objects to do the field type
check and value range check automatically for me and so on.

Can we implement <sequence> <complexType> <restriction> <enumeration> etc.
Java Classes and extends JDOM Element class to achieve this???  So, it is a
sort of XML/XSD JDOM, in which each element knows its options/restrictions
set in the underlying XSD file.  Elements yet to be created in the XML tree
must have some places to stay in the tree in this case, or they should be
read from the schema file as they are needed.

I could have the schema JDOM tree as a shadow tree (template of the XML
tree?) for the "front" XML tree (instance of the schema?) to do the check
on the fly.  In that case, there is no need to extend the JDOM Element
classes, but then how should we implement the interaction between the
two?  Is there a good programming or object model for this?

I tried IBM's facility to auto-generate Java Classes representing XML from
DTD or Schema, but it has no value constraints built into these
classes.  Also, at present, the facility is all hard-coded in terms of the
DOM tree by using these "IBMXMLElement" Classes, and there is no transfer
of information about what class(es) can be added/deleted.  The last two
points can be done by writing up my own code to use these IBMXMLElement
classes, but the point here is how to automate such a task.

Any good idea?

Regards,
Yoichi

Warner R. Onstine mailto:warner at warneronstine.com