[jdom-interest] Re: need help, namespace and XML

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Apr 26 05:53:18 PDT 2001

At 9:56 PM -0500 4/23/01, philip.nelson at omniresources.com wrote:

>There is no great way to do this other than a property setting or static
>property setter.  The checks are done in the static Verifier class so there
>is not an easy way to do this without it working that way for all uses
>within the JVM instance.  I would think that would make it undesirable as a
>general feature.  How often does this come up I wonder?

Not often, It happens, mostly in XML applications based on earlier
working drafts of namespaces. I know of exactly one still used in
production systems today. I don't think JDOM should support this.
It's on the other side of the 90/10 split. Pretty early on we decided
we wanted to be Infoset compatible, and documents that aren't
namespace-well-formed don't have meaningful infosets. Most
importantly, changing this would violate the simple story that all
JDOM documents are namespace-well-formed. And finally, it would be a
lot of work for a very small potential benefit.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |