[jdom-interest] Substituting a different <!DOCTYPE ...> when parsing an XML file

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Jun 4 05:37:57 PDT 2002

At 4:36 PM +0000 5/30/02, Geoff Rimmer wrote:
>When parsing XML files with validation switched on, I think that in
>95% of cases, it should be the *application* rather than the XML file
>that specifies which DTD file to validate against.

Basically I agree with you. Unfortunately, XML is designed in the
opposite fashion. Doing what you suggest is pretty much nonconformant
with the XML 1.0 specification. :-( The EntityResolver hack that's
been suggested fails in the face of internal DTD subsets and
documents with unexpected system and/or public IDs. This is a design
flaw in XML (IMO) and is not really something that can be fixed at
the level of JDOM.

Schemas do fix this, and explicitly allow you to validate against a
schema of your choice which is not necessarily the one referenced by
the document.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |