[jdom-interest] Internal DTD subset verification

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Thu May 9 06:04:14 PDT 2002

At 8:02 PM -0700 5/8/02, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:

>The issue is not that I/O would "swamp" what I'm testing, but rather
>that it's irrelevant. The I/O overhead is going to be the same
>regardless of what model is used. Is it greater than the build time?
>From a quick sanity check (wc the full set of mid and large xml
>files, from disk not in cache) it looks like reading the files is at
>least as fast as building the JDOM representations on my system.
>That's obviously going to depend a lot on how you're getting the
>documents, though - which is the other reason I don't want it as a
>factor in my tests.

But the I/O is relevant to anybody using JDOM who is going to have
read in the files form somewhere, possibly disk, possibly a network.
My claim is that in that more realistic scenario, JDOM performance is
a much smaller fraction of the total. Thus we really shouldn't be
wasting out time optimizing it, and we certainly shouldn't be
worrying about optimizing it at the expense of correctness.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |