[jdom-interest] Toward beta 9

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Apr 9 09:35:58 PDT 2003

At 11:52 AM -0400 4/9/03, <Vadim.Strizhevsky at morganstanley.com> wrote:
>Personally I would preffer your solution with optional Verifier. I also
>don't believe that libraries should protect people from themselves at the
>expense of efficiency. But I could live with compromise also.

It's not a question of protecting programmers from theirselves. It's
a question of whether JDOM is correct or incorrect. If JDOM is an XML
object model, it has to model XML, not some superset thereof. That
means verifying XML's constraints.  By virtue of choosing to use an
XML API rather than writing text directly onto an OutptuStream,
programmers are moving the work onto the API's shoulders. The API
should absorb as much of the burden as possible so the programmer's
don't have to.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |