[jdom-interest] JDOM Beta 9 RC 2

Steve C scondas at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 09:20:55 PDT 2003

Jason, This is from the JDK 1.2 docs:  Cross-Compilation Options
By default, classes are compiled against the bootstrap and extension classes of the JDK that javac shipped with. But javac also supports cross-compiling, where classes are compiled against a bootstrap and extension classes of a different Java platform implementation. It is important to use -bootclasspath and -extdirs when cross-compiling; see Cross-Compilation Example below.

-target version
   Generate class files that will work on VMs with the specified version. The default is to generate class files to be compatible with both 1.1 and 1.2 VMs. The versions supported by javac in JDK1.2 are:

1.1
   Ensure that generated class files will be compatible with 1.1 and 1.2 VMs. This is the default.
1.2
   Generate class files that will run on 1.2 VMs, but will not run on 1.1 VMs.

Thus compiling using javac 1.2 targets jvm 1.1, just as Rusty suggested.

Steve

Jason Hunter <jhunter at servlets.com> wrote:
> The 1.4 compiler (javac) targets the 1.2 jvm by default. The
> following is from the 1.4.2 JDK:

I don't believe them. Applets I've compiled with JDK 1.4 won't run on
the MSJVM in IE5 but when I recompiled using JDK 1.2 they will run. As
a test I compiled the applet using JDK 1.4 and the various -target
options and did a hex compare and the only difference is a byte or two
in the header but nothing in the body of the class file. Comparing
-target 1.2 to a real JDK 1.2 build showed big differences, although in
hex it's hard to know what. It was enough to be the diff between the
MSJVM working and not working though.