[jdom-interest] Speed/memory Improvement from b8 to b9 but no 1.1.x support

Zaleski, Matthew (M.E.) mzaleski at FORD.COM
Thu May 8 13:27:08 PDT 2003

(I'm new to the list so forgive me if this has been covered)
I just recently switched from b8 to b9 and experienced a huge improvement in speed and memory utilitization.  On a typical SAXBuilder.build of an existing 120kb XML would take 1.5s and 31MB of memory using b8.  With b9, the load time dropped to <0.1s and memory footprint is ~500KB.  Kudos to the JDOM for major tweaking/bugfixing.

My problem is b9 release notes indicate dropped support for JVM 1.1.x.  One of my projects locks me into 1.1.x and the memory improvement in b9 is critical (speed is nice but not required).  What are the factors forcing 1.2.x?  Barring that, is there a patch against b8 that fixes the memory problem while allowing 1.1.x?

Thanks,
Matthew Zaleski