[jdom-interest] Visibility patch: org.jdom.output

Alex Rosen arosen at novell.com
Wed May 28 06:54:40 PDT 2003

No getters for Format?

"OK, now to *everyone interested in subclassing*, please give these
patches a look and let me know if you have any concerns.  I'll probably

be checking them in tomorrow night California time.  I'd rather have
the
problems raised now than at the next beta cycle."

This is good, but realize that most people who are using JDOM probably
aren't on this list, and probably won't hear about any new versions
until 1.0 comes out. Then they'll upgrade and find any incompatibilities
we've introduced. I'm especially worried that we're taking away
extension points that they've been using, and so there won't be any
solution for them, except to copy and modify the JDOM code, or we add
back the new extension points (i.e. convert private back to protected)
and they wait for 1.1, or we tell them to stick with the beta version.

Alex