[jdom-interest] (no subject)

Robertson, Jason Jason.Robertson at acs-inc.com
Thu May 29 08:17:36 PDT 2003

So, just wondering, why doesn't Parent have a getParent() method?

It seems like this would be reasonable given XML's hierarchical layout, i.e.
if you have a parent it's only one parent so getParent() would be
unambiguous. Comparatively it doesn't make sense for Child to have something
like getChild() since going down the tree is much more complex.

In this one tool I've written I have quite a few places where I do, for
example

getParent().getParent().getParent().getAttribute()

and of course I could replace it with XPath, or this:

((Element) ((Child) ((Child)
getParent()).getParent()).getParent()).getAttribute()

but this looks kinda funny and it just feels like you should be able to
string getParent() calls together directly. I guess you'll still have to
cast an Element in the end, but one cast is better than several.

Jason

p.s. I have approx 1 month of jdom-interest locally, and I searched that but
didn't find anything. If this has been previously discussed let me know and
I'll hit the archives.