[jdom-interest] Strange behaviour of applet when accessing the DTD

Bernd Eggink Bernd.Eggink at rrz.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Oct 7 14:10:25 PDT 2003

I have an applet that reads XML from the server and builds a Document.
Essentially it does something like

   Reader reader = new InputStreamReader(new URL(url).openStream());
   Document document = new SAXBuilder(true).build(reader);  // crash!

The url is "htttp://localhost/eggink/dialog.xml". The XML uses an
external DTD on the same server:

    <!DOCTYPE dialog SYSTEM "http://localhost/eggink/dialog.dtd" [
    ]>

My problem is that the _first_ time the applet is started, it crashes
with a security exception:

    org.jdom.input.JDOMParseException: Error on line 8: access denied
    (java.net.SocketPermission 127.0.0.1:80 connect,resolve)

But when I restart it by simply pressing the browser's reload button,
it works without problems. Hm. It must have to do with the DTD,
because if I use 'new SAXBuilder(false)', I don't get any problems.
Any ideas? Is this a JDOM problem or do I miss something?

Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
Regionales Rechenzentrum der Uni Hamburg
Bernd.Eggink at rrz.uni-hamburg.de
http://www.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/RRZ/B.Eggink/