[jdom-interest] JSR-102

Jason Hunter jhunter at xquery.com
Tue Sep 14 14:16:54 PDT 2004

Hi everyone,

FYI, I plan on writing in to cancel JSR-102 with the following explanation:

"Withdrawn at the request of the submitter.  The project was completed
under the open source development model and can be found at
http://jdom.org."

This will appear on the cancelled JSR list at
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/withdrawn.html.

It's a long story why we didn't pursue the JSR.  The short version is
that after getting JSR-102 accepted I found out the JCP didn't support
an open source development model or open source licensing model.  I
worked for two years to change that as Apache's representative to the
JCP.  We succeeded, but afterward I didn't have any desire to continue
in the field of JCP politics!  I didn't want to cancel the JSR lest
someone else want to take up the mantle, but that hasn't happened.
People always seemed more interested in JDOM 1.0 than in JDOM the JSR.

The biggest benefit JSR-102 promised was inclusion in J2SE.  I've
discovered that's a heck of a lot of work though.  During EC meetings I
heard IBM complain about the amount of work foisted on them for getting
an API into J2EE.  Nevermind a volunteer group getting something into
J2SE!  We'd have an easier time becoming an "endorsed standard" like SAX
where Java just blesses and includes an externally created API.

So that's my plan.  Here's a last chance for community input before I
fire the cancellation request...