[jdom-interest] DOMOutputter and namespace aware Documents

Ortwin Glück odi at odi.ch
Tue May 23 02:09:18 PDT 2006

Hi,

Is there a way to make DOMOutputter create a namespace aware DOM? I need
this so I can schema validate it.  I am using Xerces 2.6 via JAXP. See
comments in this issue report for explanations:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1163?page=all

The problem is that my JDOM elements are in NO_NAMESPACE. And the
validation uses a noNamespaceSchemaLocation. That's perfectly legal.

But with elements not in a namespace I get a DOM without namespace
support! This prevent schema validation.

See line 251 in DOMOutputter:

             if (element.getNamespace() == Namespace.NO_NAMESPACE) {
                 // No namespace, use createElement
                 domElement =
domDoc.createElement(element.getQualifiedName());
             }
             else {
                 domElement = domDoc.createElementNS(
                                           element.getNamespaceURI(),
                                           element.getQualifiedName());
             }

There should be a way to tell DOMOutputter to call createElementNS even
if I use NO_NAMESPACE.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Ortwin