[jdom-interest] Imcompatibility with GPL

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Sep 30 03:19:15 PDT 2006

Michael Kay wrote:

> Would that apply to calling a library remotely via SOAP or REST or via an
> exec() call as well? I still haven't a clue what they mean by linking. I
> can't think of any piece of software that is useful for any non-trivial
> purpose unless it is capable of being invoked by something else. Are there
> some kinds of invocation that involve linking and others that don't?

An interesting question. Questions of this nature should be addressed to
licensing at gnu.org. They do respond substantively to messages sent to
that address, though sometimes that takes a while because they need to
think about these things themselves.

There are also forums specifically dedicated to the discussion of
licensing issues. That's far more productive than random speculation on
product-specific mailing lists.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!