Kana characters? (was Re: [jdom-interest] HELP!)

Grzegorz Kaczor grzegorz.kaczor at gmail.com
Mon May 21 11:55:57 PDT 2007

Hello,
I believe that the XML APIs like JDOM, XOM and similar do notimplement their own UTF-8 or any other encoding and useJava-implemented encodings instead. And I believe that modern JavaUnicode implementation is based on Unicode 4.0 and Kanji is one ofimplemented scripts. So it should work.
> Just out of curiosity, does someone have a sample of JDOM-generated XML> that includes Hiragana and Katakana glyphs?   What about Kanji?  Is this> done with the familiar encoding="UTF-8" at the beginning or something else?
I don't see anything extraordinary in creating an XML file with suchcharacters. You can just paste them from webpages to your Java editor,I believe. However, if your default system encoding is not UTF-8, youshould use a switch when compiling:
javac -encoding utf8 Utf8Test.java
If you have an XML file encoded with UTF-8, you can omit the encodingin the declaration - it is by default UTF-8. However if you use lotsof non-standard characters (for example, from outside of BMP), I wouldconsider using UTF-16 to decrease the file size.
To be strict, glyphs are graphical representations of characters.UTF-8 and other encodings only encode Unicode character codes assequences of bytes. Even if you can process the characters using JDOMyou may be still unable to see them due to missing fonts, for example.
Regards,Grzegorz
On 21/05/07, Alan Deikman <Alan.Deikman at znyx.com> wrote:> Angela Amoateng wrote:> > 1)Does  JDOM recognise and create an XML document containing Japanese> > characters, specifically Hiragana? How will I go about this?> I have been using JDOM for quite a while with great success, but I> haven't really encountered this yet.>> Just out of curiosity, does someone have a sample of JDOM-generated XML> that includes Hiragana and Katakana glyphs?   What about Kanji?  Is this> done with the familiar encoding="UTF-8" at the beginning or something else?>>> --> Alan Deikman> ZNYX Networks>> _______________________________________________> To control your jdom-interest membership:> http://www.jdom.org/mailman/options/jdom-interest/youraddr@yourhost.com>

-- "Choć tyle wiemy własnym doświadczeniem:W nas jest Raj, Piekło - i do obu - szlaki."J.K.