[jdom-interest] JDOM 1.1 released!

Talden talden at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:30:06 PST 2007

> I suspect that enhancing JDOM with Generics is not as trivial as one
> would think especially when one wants to go the whole way. One of the
> reasons is erasure:

> is possible but will break some code. I worry that a "JDOM 1.5" can't be
> drop in replacement...

Agreed but then I don't believe it should try to be a drop-in.  Having
looked over this exact issue, the amount of practical generification
without hitting erasure issues yielded such limited improvements as to
make the effort worthless.  It would be much better to take the
lessons learned about what makes JDOM a useful tool and design an API
that properly leverages the 1.5 enhancements to their fullest.

Bug-fixes can continue to be made against JDOM 1.1 for those that are
strictly unable to move forward from Java2 1.4.x but JDOM needs to
move on and embrace the Java 5.0 features and conventions that came
into being over three years ago.

The lack of Java 5.0 feature adoption is likely costing JDOM in terms
of adoption and certainly costing adopters in terms of productivity.
It's going to take a long time to get the API right so planning should
start sooner rather than later.

--
Talden