[jdom-interest] JDOM 1.1 released!

Tatu Saloranta cowtowncoder at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 22:15:37 PST 2007

--- Talden <talden at gmail.com> wrote:
> The lack of Java 5.0 feature adoption is likely
> costing JDOM in terms
> of adoption and certainly costing adopters in terms
> of productivity.
> It's going to take a long time to get the API right
> so planning should
> start sooner rather than later.

While I have nothing against moving to Java 5 for JDOM
2.0, and think that it's a good thing when done in a
way to get real benefits, I don't think this matters a
whole lot wrt. JDOM adoption at this point.
I don't think other tree model implementations are
moving to Java 5 particularly fast either, and
specifically core DOM will (have to) move slowly.

So it's a great idea to start thinking how API can be
improved for the next major, non-backwards-compatible
version, focusing on specific benefits: use cases that
can be simplified; typing that can be improved (using
enums as well as generics) to help with IDE
auto-completion amongst other things.

-+ Tatu +-