[jdom-interest] Re: Reading XML with JDOM

Praveen Gattu pgattu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:32:10 PDT 2008

Michael
The XML is to be obtained over a www URL. Our networks are T1 speed and
performing their best. There isn't a problem with the network latency, but I
acknowledge that retrieving the XML file over a www URL is probably the most
time consuming procedure for my application. Www Network latency aside, I
want to assure that whatever APIs/frameworks I use for parsing the XML are
the fastest. For the purposes of measuring the performance of the parser, I
am using a XML file located in the file system and removing the network
latency aspect. Is this a valid method to measure the parser's performance?

-- Praveen

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Michael Kay <mike at saxonica.com> wrote:

>  You're asking about how to read the data efficiently with JDOM, but I
> suspect that if you are looking for performance then you might be looking in
> the wrong part of your system.
>
> XML parser start-up costs can be very high; initializing the parser for
> each document could easily turn out to be the dominant cost in this
> application. You can get a lot of saving by reusing parser instances. I
> don't know what JDOM's initialization costs for building a document are, but
> you need to check them too.
>
> At any rate, building a JDOM tree almost certainly takes longer than
> extracting the data from the tree once built.
>
> I find this statement a bit worrying:
>
> >Anyway, since there is probably not much I can do with the network
> latency, I am trying to keep the Java code as skinny and efficient as
> possible.
> That seems to be an inversion of the way performance engineering should be
> done. If network latency is the dominant cost, then effort spent on tuning
> your Java code is a total waste of time.
>
> I would focus your attention on measuring performance, end to end, before
> you start tuning anything.
>
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/

>>> Praveen