[jdom-interest] jdom 1.1.2 references missing maven artifact

Rolf jdom at tuis.net
Sat Nov 5 12:41:26 PDT 2011

Hi Don.

I may have messed that up a bit... (actually, there's no 'maybe'...).

The predicament is that the current version of Jaxen is 1.1.3, and I
have used that version to build JDOM. I set that version to be the one
in the pom. The 1.1.1 version is from 2007....

I did not realize that jaxen was not maintained in Maven... since it
quite clearly says on it's home-page that they are 'ramping up to using
maven'.

Actually, there are still lots of things I do not know about maven.

So, I used the details of what I compiled with, rather than what's
available in maven.

Bear in mind that JDOM is not built using maven dependencies, it is
built independently, and then 'deployed' on Maven to be available to all.

I will try to:

change the version dependency to be:

        <dependency>
             <groupId>jaxen</groupId>
             <artifactId>jaxen</artifactId>
             <version>[1.1.1,1.2.0)</version>
             <optional>true</optional>
        <dependency>

I believe this will have the effect of:
  - making the dependencies work in maven since 1.1.1 is there, but, if
you put a newer 1.1.3 in your local maven repository, then it will use that.
  - making it not download jaxen at all.... but, you will need it if you
use XPath mechanisms in JDOM.

I will see if I can update the current pom without having to release a
new version....

Rolf