[jdom-interest] JDOM and XSLT

Laurent Bihanic laurent.bihanic at atosorigin.com
Wed Feb 27 06:40:32 PST 2002

Hi,

Mani Doraisamy wrote:
> Hi all,
> What is the fastest XSLT processor available in market. I am
> using JDOM and I would like to do XSLT so that I can present
> it as HTML.

Saxon (http://saxon.sourceforge.net) can be up to 3 times faster than Xalan,
depending on your stylesheet, and is very stable.

> Another question,
> my JDOM structure is huge and the Elements in the structure
> actually gets the value from performance intensive calculations
> and database operations, by overriding getText() method. Now
> when i want to do XSLT i wouldnt want the entire tree for XSLT.
> Although i can pass the whole tree for XSLT, what is the most
> performant way of doing XSLT for the subtree?

XSLT processes an entire document. So the only way to apply a stylesheet to
only a part of a document is to detach that part and make it a standalone
document. You can then apply the stylesheet to this "small" document and
attach the result back to the original document.

Hope this helps,

Laurent