[jdom-interest] collections

Michael Salmon ms at speakeasy.net
Sat May 25 00:38:38 PDT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 05:51:02PM -0700, Jason Hunter wrote:
> Hmm, I don't really like the idea of fully qualifying all collections
> classes in the src when the only gain is that it lets you build for JDK
> 1.1 under JDK 1.2 or later.  It seems reasonable if you want a custom
> JDK 1.1 build from CVS you can get such a compiler.

I only added the conversion to FQCN's since that was how the build.xml
was setup apparently. Most of the collections target seemed to be looking
for java.util.* type entries in the source and convert it to the
com.sun.java.util.collections equivalent. Since none of the objects
actually were coded that way I decided to supply the neccessary bits.
If you want to keep the bits in build.xml then there should be a step
to run my script over the codebase to convert the references instead
of using ant token replace. Unless there is a way for it to do regular
expressions, namely "[^a-zA-Z]".

> Mike, I presume you're hitting this because you have an applet client
> and so you don't naturally have a JDK 1.1 compiler sitting around, but
> since we provide a JDK 1.1 JAR in each beta, even this is only an issue
> for someone who wants the latest in CVS for JDK 1.1.  The price the
> other way is that we have to remember to use FQCN's in the code which
> isn't very natural.

yeah, sadly I have sold my soul to work on an applet.

> Perhaps adding your cool little script to a FAQ entry would suffice?

feel free to do that, or integrate it into the build system for 1.1.

> -jh-
>
> Michael Salmon wrote:

<snip>