[jdom-interest] a base class to JDOM element and comment?

Alex Rosen arosen at novell.com
Mon Apr 21 12:24:57 PDT 2003

I thought that the last time this was brought up (i.e. the 4th or 5th
time), we finally came around to kind of liking the idea of a common
base class. I'll see if I can dig up that last discussion.

Alex

>>> Jason Hunter <jhunter at servlets.com> 4/21/2003 3:11:53 PM >>>
This idea has been discussed at length.  Thus far I've never found a
proposal that was better than what we have, but you can check Brad's
experimental approach at ftp://a.cs.okstate.edu/pub/hip/jdom-x.zip and
see what you think.

-jh-

Winston Wolff wrote:

> I have just started integrating JDOM into one of my projects and I
really admire it's ease of use. I don't know when the Beta 9 is
scheduled for public release, so I have one suggestion which I would
like to mention and see if anybody things it would be a useful addition
to the project.

> I think it would be useful to have a common base class for the
various JDOM entity objects like Element and Comment in particular.
Perhaps org.jdom.Entity?

> My situation is this: I have a tree of objects that I am storing as
XML via JDOM. Each object has a method: Element xmlEncode() with returns
an Element object to represent itself in the XML file. However I would
like to also allow a comment to be returned in some cases. For example,
Entity xmlEncode() Where an entity could be either an element or a
comment. This will allow the java object to mark it's place in the XML
file, but not actually put an element in.